February has arrived which means treating that significant someone to some well-deserved spoils! And with its beautiful scenery, warm climate, and spectacular venues, there’s no place better to celebrate love than on the KZN South Coast.
“We’re fortunate to have a fantastic variety of accommodation options across the KZN South Coast, from those offering seaside views to those overlooking magnificent gorges,” commented Phelisa Mangcu, CEO of South Coast Tourism and Investment Enterprise (SCTIE). “To ensure your loved one enjoys a truly memorable Valentine’s Day this year, we’re sharing a few of our top romantic locations that take advantage of the incredible natural surroundings that make this the Paradise of the Zulu Kingdom.”
1. The Gorge Private Game Lodge & Spa
For a uniquely African experience, this is the ultimate romantic destination. Nestled in Oribi Gorge just 90 minutes from Durban, this ultra-luxurious retreat has outdoor activities, great dining, and unmatched views.
- Accommodation: These luxury villas are built on the edge of sandstone cliffs offering resplendent views of the Oribi Gorge Nature Reserve.
- Dining: The flagship restaurant, Catharina’s on 15, aspires to a field-to-fork philosophy using homegrown produce and incorporating essential oils for a sensory dining experience.
- Spa: The Clivia Day Spa has numerous treatment options in a natural environment with gorge views.
- Activities: These include daily bush and game drives, birdwatching, trail hikes and mountain biking, ziplining, vulture excursions, and various nearby activities.
2. Days At Sea
This is a luxury B&B in Southbroom that provides a welcome refuge for a romantic getaway, complete with beautiful scenery and fine wine. The European background of artist and photographer Dr Guido Schoeldgen and his wife Annette, a fashion designer, is evident throughout this beachfront hotel.
- Accommodation: There are several luxury suites available at this top-class facility, but those looking for the most romantic setup will veer towards Umkhomo (Zulu for ‘whale’) – the honeymoon suite. This has spectacular sea views with the lounge opening onto a covered terrace, including pool and garden access.
- Dining: Health drinks can be enjoyed by the pool from Guido’s Bar, as well as dining in the Frangipani Lounge which includes a great selection from the wine cellar.
- Spa: Located in a tropical garden, guests will enjoy Christopher Lorenz’s ceiling painting – the former pride of the Hemingway’s in Cape Town.
- Activities: Relaxing by the pool or under the white gazebos on the beach. There’s also a variety of nearby activities to try including scuba diving, golf, hiking and biking, yoga, farm visits and ziplining, among others.
3. ANEW Resort Ingeli Forest
This is a charming country escape between Harding and Kokstad nestled below the Ingeli Mountain range just an hour inland from Port Shepstone.
- Accommodation: Surrounded by breathtaking indigenous forests, this is the ideal location for romance with 44 spacious country rooms to choose from boasting luxurious and comfortable features and amenities.
- Dining: Enjoy resort-style hospitality at ANEW Resort Ingeli Forest’s on-site restaurant Eagles Nest. The Foresters bar at ANEW Resort Ingeli Forest has country charm and cold beer.
- Spa: Seruga Spa offers the ultimate relaxation experience with a variety of treatment options.
- Activities: There are several outdoor activities including fantastic mountain biking and trail running tracks, an adventure golf course, a tennis court, a swimming pool, and a heated splash pool.
4. Honeywood Forest Lodge, Restaurant & Spa
For the ultimate romantic gourmet getaway, this Sea Park venue is ideal. Just five minutes from Port Shepstone and less than 1km from the beach, it’s perfectly positioned for a tranquil couple’s retreat.
- Accommodation: The romantic Lapa Suite within the Honeywood garden forest is rustic luxury, complete with a fireplace and bath overlooking the forest.
- Dining: The Cellar at Honeywood serves delectable, gourmet cuisine prepared by renowned chef Dylan Smith and his team. Enjoy a romantic dinner complete with low lighting, candles, and soft jazz.
- Spa: The Forest Spa at Honeywood is an upmarket retreat with a range of organic and eco-friendly treatments.
- Activities: The beach is nearby, with Oribi Gorge and its many outdoor activities just a 30-minute drive away. There are also popular golf courses and shopping centres in the vicinity.
5. Leopard Rock Coffee Shop & Lookout Chalets
This owner-run establishment is 26km from Port Shepstone, set within the majestic Oribi Gorge valley. It boasts a warm, relaxed ambience in a rustic, earthy setting.
- Accommodation: There are four romantic, open-plan chalets set on a rocky incline with sweeping views over the majestic Umzimkulu River Gorge, with the Honeymoon Suite the perfect romantic venue.
- Dining: Leopard Rock Coffee Shop is well-known for its great food matched by spectacular views.
- Activities: There are a variety of activities, walks, and attractions to explore in the 12km range, including a visit to the famous Overhanging Leopard Rock and great bird sightings.
6. Lake Eland Game Reserve
Set within the magnificent Oribi Gorge is the 2 500-ha game reserve consisting of bushveld, grassland, coastal forest, and wetland landscapes, all found a quick 40-minute drive from Port Shepstone.
- Accommodation: There are two-sleeper chalets surrounded by natural vegetation, providing a peaceful and romantic escape.
- Dining: Lake Eland’s Restaurant offers a diverse menu. Lake Eland Game Reserve is also home to a variety of picnic and braai facilities for a romantic outdoor experience.
- Activities: There’s a lot to do at the reserve, including game drives and walks, horse riding, hiking and biking trails, fishing, ziplining, and extreme tours. There’s even an 80m suspension bridge with breathtaking gorge views.
Plan the perfect romantic getaway on the KZN South Coast and extend your stay by downloading the free ‘Explore KZN South Coast’ app from Google Play and Apple stores. Follow the hashtag #kznsouthcoast #extendyourstay #endlessopportunities.
To find out more about the KZN South Coast’s tourism offerings, download the free ‘Explore KZN South Coast’ app from Google Play and Apple stores; visit the South Coast Tourism on Facebook; South Coast Tourism and Investment Enterprise on YouTube; @infosouthcoast on Twitter or Instagram; Info Ugu South Coast Tourism on LinkedIn; the SCTIE website to check out the Events Calendar, the KZN South Coast Meeting Planner Guide and more! And click here to check out previous SCTIE press releases.