Heading down to the KZN coast for a holiday this festive season? If you are travelling from the Free State or Gauteng, why not consider breaking up your journey with a meander through the Midlands – you won’t regret it!
A convenient two-hour drive from Durban and a leisurely four and a half hours along the N3 from Johannesburg (even quicker for those arriving from Bloemfontein), the Midlands not only offers a refreshing break but a myriad of activities and so many opportunities to make magical lasting memories with friends and family. Shaun Lamont, Managing Director of First Group Hotels and Resorts is confident that once you’ve experienced it, you are going to want to stay for longer than just a day and will undoubtedly want to return.
He cites 5 reasons why you should meander through the Midlands this Festive Season:
1. Magnificent Scenery: The Midlands boasts green, rolling hills, stretches of farmland, secret waterfalls and beautiful dams. From Rietvlei and Curry’s Post to Dargle Valley and Fort Nottingham, you will find 80 kilometres of unspoilt, natural beauty.
2. Culinary Delight: For the foodies, the Midlands is a true culinary delight. Tantalise your taste buds with the finest food that KwaZulu-Natal has to offer. From quaint farm stalls offering fresh produce to world-class restaurants serving fine dining dishes, this is a “foodie” journey that will leave you craving for more.
3. Craft Beer and Gin Delight: Discover the Midlands’ vibrant craft beer and gin scene. Enjoy local brews and spirits made with passion and remarkable craftsmanship.
4. Adventure Awaits: The Midlands is not just a treat for the eyes and taste buds; it’s a hub of activities waiting to be explored. Take your pick from an array of activities that will thrill the whole family: from archery, chocolate dipping, go-karting, canopy tours or horse-riding to candle dipping, fishing or canoeing. Whether you enjoy an adrenaline rush or a serene escape, the Midlands has it all.
5. Relax and Unwind: Indulge in ultimate relaxation at one of the Midlands’ exquisite spas. La Vita Spa at the Midlands Saddle and Trout, for example, offers a serene sanctuary paired with beautiful chalets and stunning views at excellent rates. It’s the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate before continuing on your journey.
Lamont regards the Midlands, with its beauty and diverse offerings, as a hidden gem and one of South Africa’s best-kept secrets. “This festive season, make the Midlands a part of your road trip plans and experience the magic that lies between the journey and the destination,” he concludes.
If you are looking for accommodation in the Midlands this festive season, consider the Midlands Saddle and Trout. Visit https://www.firstgroup-sa.co.za/midlands-saddle-and-trout for more information.