Two years ago, Raw Africa Boutique Collection and it flagship Plettenberg Bay property, the 5-star Sky Villa Boutique Hotel embarked on an exciting project that combined the Botanical Gardens concept with Raw Africa Boutique Collection’s dream of a bio-diverse, eco-estate with specialist mountain biking trails right in the middle of Plett. Together with the expertise of Trail Lynx, a local Trail Association brought in to construct, manage and help grow the mountain biking trails component, this dream became a reality when Sky Trails, Plettenberg Bay, was officially launched in December 2021.
Now, one year later, Paul Duverge, Managing Director of Raw Africa Boutique Collection has announced the addition of a number of new trails, also constructed by Trail Lynx – accessible from The Hub, opposite Old Nicks, plus new parking and a place where riders can gather and prepare. Much has been invested in building the new trails and improving the existing trails along with an additional R2m investment in security fencing to keep the trails safe for children.
The new MTB trails at Sky Trails at Sky Park will open on 4 December 2022.
Taking place at the new trails at Sky Trails, as part of Sky Villa’s inaugural Plett Wine & Adventure Festival 2022:
- on Friday 16 December is the 5-stage Enduro format MTB race – race starts at 08h30 with registration at Sky Villa Boutique Hotel from 07h00 – all stages are family friendly; race distance is about 18km with ±650m elevation; riders will wear a time chip and need to clock-in/out of each stage to get a result. Only 250 time chips available; e-bikes welcome; no dogs. Tickets from R250. Event link – https://qkt.io/Rui638
According to Johan Vorster of Trail Lynx, riders now have a choice between exploring the new Sky Hub trails on the slopes below Sky Villa Boutique Hotel or riding across to Sky Park to try out the crafted Flowlines and Loop trails. Access fees are payable at Sky Hub or Sky Villa Boutique Hotel reception. Trail fees are R60 per day and R300 for 12 months unlimited access (Dec 2022-Dec2023). Annual stickers will be issued on payment. For MTB race queries contact Trail Lynx on 082 889 6515.
Sky Villa has enlisted the Kwano Cycling Team to assist at the Sky Hub with the facilitation of payments and monitoring the trails on a daily basis during peak season. A portion of the proceeds will go directly to the Kwano Cycling Team for their assistance, as well as other local community initiatives powered by Plettenberg Bay Tourism.
- and on Saturday 17 December, a colourful, family-friendly Rainbow Run, a collaboration between Raw Africa Boutique Collection and Plett Primary. This, Plett Primary’s first- ever 5km Rainbow Run/Walk – a tennis tour fundraiser – starts at 09h00; registration at Sky Villa Boutique Hotel opens at 08h00. Limited to 500 entries; furry friends on leashes are welcome. Tickets from R100 (includes a water bottle and a packet of powder paint) – get yours quick – online at www.quicket.co.za. Contact Louné for any queries at 082 881 0147.
“It’s going to be a great social affair and loads of fun, so do come and join us”.
Instagram/Facebook: @skyvillaplett & @rawafricaboutiquecollection; @plettenbergbaytourismboard
Raw Africa Boutique Collection (formerly Cape Summer Villas Boutique Collection) is a privately owned boutique collection of exclusive accommodations in the Western Cape along the Cape coast to Plettenberg Bay. Properties, well positioned within close proximity to popular tourist hotspots offer luxury amenities and cater to the discerning guest. All the properties within the group have been carefully selected to showcase their surroundings and feature tastefully decorated interiors, the finest linen and 5-star service. These include
- the flagship properties – Sky Villa Boutique Hotel and Villa One @ Sky with breathtaking views over the ocean and the Tsitsikamma mountains and The Bungalow and the Bungalow Beach Villa right on Hobie Beach in Plettenberg Bay
- Spanish Farm Guest Lodge in Somerset West with views of False Bay and surrounding mountains
- 22 Eikehoff Apartment and The Den Apartments in the university town of Stellenbosch
- Pringle Bay Villa, on the beach in Pringle Bay
- Oubaai Villa, situated in the Oubaai golf estate in close proximity to George airport
Raw Africa Boutique Collection has a long history of eco-tourism principles and policies; part of its mandate is to ensure the protection of the complex ecologies on its various properties. Its commitment to nature conservation is seen throughout the collection and is evident in the way all the properties continually strive towards sustainable conservation and GREEN practices to ensure that they are environmentally friendly. This commitment has led to the installing of an Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Point at one of the Collection’s premier hotels, Sky Villa Boutique Hotel in Plettenberg Bay for convenient on-site charging for its guests.
Tel: +27 87 550 2967