HESSEQUA IS THE ENTRANCE TO THE GARDEN ROUTE AND OFFERS CLEAN, SANDY BEACHES, A MAJESTIC MOUNTAIN RANGE AND UNSPOILED, SAFE ENVIRONMENT. THE REGION IS A POPULAR FAMILY DESTINATION AND INCLUDES THE TOWNS WITSAND, HEIDELBERG, SLANGRIVIER, RIVERSDALE, VERMAAKLIKHEID, STILBAAI, JONGENSFONTEIN, MELKHOUTFONTEIN, ALBERTINIA AND GOURITSMOND.
The Hessequa is the halfway mark between Cape Town and Quebega (Port Elizabeth), with the N2 highway running through the region. Riversdale connects with the R62, through the scenic Garcia’s Mountain Pass, which offers wide-open spaces for motorcycle enthusiasts. The Cape Town International Airport is three hours from Hessequa.
• INVERROCHE GIN DISTILLERY: The production and sale of a world-first Fynbos Gin in Stilbaai. The facility offers a Gin School, to produce your own unique bottle of Gin. Tel: +27 (0)28 754 2442
• JULIUS GORDON AFRICANA CENTRE: This “museum” in Riversdale is home to the second largest collection of Thomas Bowler paintings in South Africa and accommodates small groups. Tel: +27 (0) 28 713 7939
• ALOE FEROX: The Aloe Ferox factory shop is located along the N2, 2km from Albertinia. The facility produces Aloe products and welcomes tour groups. Close to Aloe Ferox is The House of Aloes, a second Aloe factory shop. Tel: +27 (0) 28 735 8100
Authentic hidden gems
• GOURIKWA NATURE RESERVE: A private nature reserve near Gouritsmond offering a rugged coastline, self-catering units, beautiful wedding chapel, walking trails and small game. Tel: +27 (0) 87 702 9126
• LAND-BASED WHALE WATCHING: The coastal town of Witsand is the “Whale Nursery of South Africa” due to the large concentration of Whales between June and November.
• OU-DAG KOLEKTIBLES: This venue in Heidelberg, is home to vintage road signs, collectors’ items and restored memorabilia. The artistic genius of this concept invites several globetrotters to the town. Tel: +27 (0) 82 559 2077
Garden Route Game Lodge, Albertinia
Set against the backdrop of the majestic Langeberg Mountain Range, the 4-star graded Garden Route Game Lodge provides visitors with luxury accommodation, game viewing in an open Landrover and a memorable dining experience in an African-style restaurant. The facility consists of 8 Sunset Ridge Luxury Suites, 16 Lodge Rooms and 18 Private Chalets.
T+27 (0) 28 754 1200
Skeiding Guest Farm, Heidelberg
Skeiding Guest Farm is a graded establishment catering for the discerning traveller. The guesthouse offers six comfortable bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, of which four have king-sized beds, and four even have working fireplaces. In addition, the farm offers threecontemporary farm cottages all with working fireplaces and overlooking the picturesque fields and mountain tops.
T+27 (0) 82 451 4965
De Doornkraal Vinotel, Riversdale
De Doornkraal Vinotel is a 4-star graded establishment which provides travellers with the perfect handcrafted country hospitality. The luxury rooms are unique, each with its own history and heritage. These spacious rooms were fashioned for guest comfort and leisure. On-site facilities include a restaurant, winery and swimming pool.
HESSEQUA TOURISM l T+27 (0)28 713 7953 l email@example.com l www.explorersgardenroute.co.za